Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Friday, September 9, 2011

So, What's it About?

Do you have trouble answering that question about your book? I sure do. I'm almost afraid to answer it. What if they think it sounds stupid? But...I think I'm going to have to come up with a good answer because lots of people having been asking lately. The deer-in-the-headlights look probably isn't the best thing.

I'm thinking, "Mormon youth fight to free the earth from alien invaders." Or something like that.

Anyway, if you really want to know what it's about (you do right?), here's the blurb I posted on my brand-new website.

Hannah and her friends have been warned about the danger lurking outside of their secret refuge, but some things, like friendship and freedom, are more important than staying safe.

Hannah and Derek have spent their lives hidden underground, out of the reach of the alien invaders who devastated the world years before. When McKenzie and Jeremy decide to run away, Hannah and Derek follow, determined to bring their friends home.

Once outside, the four teens soon realize they cannot return to their refuge without endangering everyone there. Captured, enslaved and separated, Hannah, Derek and McKenzie each learn the unique role they must play in liberating the Earth, because even an alien invasion cannot stop the work of God. 


 Oh, that really leaves out so much cool stuff. Like the Avenging Angels--high tech air/space strike fighters. And Toovuts, the Paiute Indian Wolf deity. And the overskins. And...well, lots of stuff. Why do blurbs always feel so inadequate?


I just want to thank you all for all the love on my last post. It really is wonderful to be able to celebrate our successes together. I just love this community. Thanks so very much!

21 comments:

Melanie Goldmund said...

Cool new website! Very professional looking! Just one question, though, where's the first chapter of the book? I wanted to read an extract but couldn't find one.

Stephanie Black said...

I definitely have trouble with the question "What is your book about?" It's not easy to give a quick, interesting blurb about the book and I usually do a not-so-great job of answering that question. When my publisher was doing video interviews, I figured that would be one of the questions, so I sat there in the car beforehand practicing a response. It really helped--I was actually able to give a coherent, interesting response. Yay! So I guess what I've learned is that with each new book, I need to figure out an answer beforehand!

Carolyn V said...

This is a great community of writers. I'm lucky to know you. =D

Plus I can't wait to see your book out!

Shallee said...

Great book pitch, Angie! I usually boil mine down to a single sentence that I can use when people ask me.

Your website looks great, by the way!

Amparo Ortiz said...

GREAT premise! Haven't read anything like it, so that's an awesome start :)

If only I could summarize my pitch, too.

*cracks knuckles*

Angie said...

Melanie, thanks! I do want to post an excerpt. I just wondered if it were a bit too early for that?

Stephanie, practicing is a great idea. I definitely need to do that. Thanks.

Amparo, thank you. I appreciate you stopping by. Good luck with your pitch!

T. M. Hunter said...

Just remember, when readers ask what your book is about, keep it short and sweet... ;-)

Like my latest: "A scientist fights everyone who stands in her way while she comes up with a way to resurrect her family."

That's a lot shorter than the stuff I used for queries and such. :-)

T. M. Hunter said...

On posting excerpts and promoting in general, I'd wait until a month or so before the book releases. People have short attention spans, and if they read about it now, many will forget by the time it's available.

Angie said...

I like that pitch, Todd. Thanks for the advice on excerpts. That's what I was thinking too.

tiffany said...

the blurp is awsome it cought my attention and the stuff left out is a wonderful bounus maybe you can add that as a side note

ali cross said...

Holy moly girl!!! I can't wait to read this!! Huzzah!

Angie said...

Thanks, Tiff. Love you!

Golden Eagle said...

It sounds like an awesome story. :)

I love the website!

I tried writing a blurb once for my last WIP, but it didn't come out right. It's just hard to summarize a work, particularly if it's your own. :P

RaShelle Workman said...

I'm so excited to read your story. Alien invaders - love it!

Canda said...

You're blurb sounds so good. But like you I hate that question. I have to practice it over and over to get it to spit out.

Aubrie said...

Your website is fantastic! I love your tagline :Adventures out of this world".

Good luck with your writing! The blurb sounds interesting. I'd love to read it.

dellgirl said...

I came by, just to say hello and see how you’re doing. Looks as if I'm just in time to say congratulations on all the good news. The new website is great, really clean and professional. Keep up the good work, Angie.

Maeve Frazier said...

Hi Anglie - Love the pitch! Seems to me you are on a great roll!

P.S. I also stopped by to let you know that I have a blog award for you on my blog!

Angie said...

Thanks so much, Aubrie and Dellgirl! I really appreciate that.

Thanks for the award, Maeve!

Danyelle L. said...

So excited for your new book! And I think you do an excellent job with your blurb. :D Blurbs are evil to write, but well worth the effort afterward.

PS: The website's beautiful!

Jackee said...

HUGE congrats, Angie, on reaching your goal! ALL YOUR GOALS! :o) And the "What is it?" is hard one. I just finished reading Save the Cat by Blake Snyder and he's adamant about that one for screenwriters.

Have a lovely Monday, my dear!