Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Friday, July 8, 2011

Thoreau Quote Friday

When I went hunting for the quote about living deliberately, I found about 100 other quotes from Thoreau that were just as amazing. Here's another for today. First off a little about Thoreau from Wikipedia:

Henry David Thoreau; July 12, 1817 – May 6, 1862 was an American author, poet, abolitionist, naturalist, tax resister, development critic, surveyor, historian, philosopher, and leading transcendentalist. He is best known for his book Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Now for today's quote:

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.”

 It reminded me also of this quote by President David O. McKay stating that the purpose of our church was: 

“...to make life sweet today, to give contentment to the heart today, to bring salvation today. …Some of us look forward to a time in the future—salvation and exaltation in the world to come—but today is part of eternity.”

So, what will you do with your piece of eternity today?
 

10 comments:

Brenda Susan said...

Beautiful words! Today my intentional living includes two articles I have been putting off. Thanks for the reminder.

Laura Josephsen said...

These are fantastic quotes, and definitely a reminder that all we know we have is each moment.

Angie said...

Thanks, Laura. I appreciate you stopping by!

Misha Gerrick said...

I'm just going to settle down and savor it for a bit.

^_^ Have a great weekend!

Terry W. Ervin II said...

It takes a pretty forward thinking person to have quotes remain relevant a century after that person's death.

Elana Johnson said...

Enjoy it.

Brilliant quotes. :)

Anonymous said...

Great quotes.

I think I shall do some writing today.

Have a great weekend.

Angie said...

Sure does, Terry. Thanks for stopping by!

Danyelle L. said...

Love these! I'm going to focus on what's most important--esp. my family. :D *hugs*

Mary E Campbell said...

Love both quotes. Definitely need to apply them into my life.