Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What I Learned

This year at the Book Academy, one message came at me over and over again.

Write what you love! If you don't love it, who will?

After all, you are your story's mommy. You gave birth to it, you nurture it, feed it, stay up late at night worrying about it. If you think it's boring, well, what will all those non-mommy readers think?

I heard it in, I think, three different workshops and speeches. Of course, I already believe this with all my heart, but sometimes it's nice to have it reaffirmed. 

Follow your heart!

15 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

I totally agree! Well said!

lotusgirl said...

It's important to keep this in mind.

tiffany said...

i agree if you dont love it then its hard for some else to love it too

Carolyn V. said...

Excellent advice!

Larry and Cindy said...

Very True!!!

Theresa Milstein said...

Great advice. Don't try to write the next big thing, attempting to figure out what's hot. Write what you love and love what you write!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally trying to keep this one in mind because I worry that my kind of style won't work with some people. I'm just writing it though and then I'll worry about the rest later!

Unknown said...

Hi Angie, You can still enter my blogfest, no MS required to be in the raffle :)

Shallee said...

Awesome! I love "write what you love" better than "write what you know." :) Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

This is so true!!!

Cindy Beck, author said...

Great advice! A book written by someone who doesn't love it is never fun to read. It's a chore!

LTM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Great advice! Thanks for sharing it.

LTM said...

(sorry for the typo! ;o)

excellent--so true and great advice. Thanks, Angie! And I use your spirit quote lots. I'm also in a small group at church, and can you believe on Sun. they were talking about Flowing w/the Spirit... Yessss~ :o)

Angie said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by. I hope you are following your heart today!