Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Monday, September 22, 2008

For with God, nothing shall be impossible.

How does a mother of six find the time to write? The past month or so I have absolutely been on fire! I wrote forty pages in the past five weeks, which is double or more what I considered good output even two months ago. If that isn't enough, I also pulled out my first novel and cut it down from 98,000 words to 90,000 words and seriously tightened up and polished the prose. I attribute this great writing output to yielding my heart to God. No kidding. When I got down on my knees and humbly asked Heavenly Father to remove my shortcomings, to give me a new heart and make me a new person, I have found writing more important to me than ever, and through the grace of God, I have dramatically increased what I am getting done in the time that I do have. I also lost ten pounds without even thinking about it. President Ezra Taft Benson said that, "Men and women who turn their lives over to God will find that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can." I can testify that this is true. The Lord is making a new person out of me, and happily, writing seems to be a part of His plan. Even if I never publish another thing, at least I get great satisfaction just from the writing itself. I'd love to have a larger audience, but I will leave that in God's hands.

Besides the grace of God, I also don't watch TV. We have a TV, just for watching movies, but it doesn't get any channels. And, okay, I do own the entire series of Star Trek: The Next Generation on disk, but I don't even watch that all that much. This is such an amazing blessing. I highly recommend getting rid of your TV. The other thing that gives me time to write, which I can't recommend as highly, is that I don't do housework. Okay, I do some housework. The dishes are done every day, and the laundry, but as far as stuff like vacuuming, dusting, mopping, bathrooms -- those get done on Saturday, and the rest of the week I just don't worry about it. I figure I can have an immaculately clean house or I can write. I choose to write.

4 comments:

Larry and Cindy said...

Angie, we love your writing blog!!! Thanks for sharing with us! Maybe I should try turning my life over to God...I am sure he can do alot more with me than I can. I really have a problem with believing in myself and my abilities. I need a job but I am so down on myself it is hard to find one. I think You are the greatest!!! Keep writing..never give up. You are amazing!!! Love Ya, MOM & DAD

Unknown said...

Angie,

What an inspirational post!

I'm glad I stopped by.

I now have your blog bookmarked so I can check in frequently.

Linz said...

You are so great Ang! Love you tons!

Suzette Saxton said...

Yay! My favorite SF writer has a blog. I loved seeing the list of your publications.

Suzette Saxton